Monday, January 12, 2009

Books in 2008

here are the aforementioned 20 books that i read last year, in chronological order and with my top 5 at the end. let me know if you have any recommendations!

1. Matilda – Roald Dahl
2. Restless – William Boyd
3. The Law of Dreams – Peter Behrens
4. What is the What by Dave Eggers
5. A Thousand Acres – Jane Smiley
6. Fellow Travelers – Thomas Mallon
7. The Pacific and Other Stories – Mark Helprin
8. Billion Dollar Kiss – Jeffrey Stepakoff
9. 10 Days in the Hills – Jane Smiley
10. A Handbook to Luck – Cristina Garcia
11. Tender at the Bone – Ruth Reichl
12. When You Are Engulfed in Flames – David Sedaris
13. People of the Book – Geraldine Brooks
14. When Will There Be Good News – Kate Atkinson
15. Twilight – Stephenie Meyer
16. I See You Everywhere – Julia Glass
17. Slam – Nick Hornby
18. Flesh and Blood – Michael Cunningham
19. East of Eden – John Steinbeck
20. The Emperor's Children – Claire Messud

Top 5:
1. A Thousand Acres – loved this one from start to finish, resurrected my lunchtime reading isolation, and got me to try reading more by the author (though that foray was a disappointment).
2. Tender at the Bone – Ruth Reichl is a great writer and made me want to cook – I know!
Me!
3. East of Eden – wanted to love this more as Grapes of Wrath is probably in my top 3 of all time.
Still devoured this one, but wish I had read it in a class so that I could get all the many meanings out of it.
4. Restless – great spy novel I read at the beginning of the year – totally entrancing.
5. (tie) People of the Book and I See You Everywhere – two new novels by two of my favorite authors – neither one was extraordinary, but I love both of their writing styles.

No comments: